Thursday, October 8, 2009

SD Card Format from command line

Weird thing today, my SD card dropped from 2GB to 1GB. It's a mini in an SD adapter that I use this in my Palm Treo 700P for pics and docs storage.

I was able to read the files in ubuntu but the phone would not acknowledge the card at all. I copied the files into a backup folder on the laptop and proceeded to check it out.

Lifesaving post at: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1243539

df -k [or h if you prefer] showed the drive mounted on /dev/sde1. Unmounted and attempted to run with 'sudo mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/sde1' which left the card unchanged and still not showing in the phone.

Last entry in the post shows a format command 'sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sde1 bs=512' which did the trick! Ran the format, removed card but re-inserting card didn't do anything so I put it in the Treo and it threw an error.

Apparently this was the kick it needed because I put it back in the laptop and sweet, 2GB card was mounted! I copied my backed up folders onto the card and worked fine this time when I put it in the Treo

No comments: